Little Hokie(tm) Hand-me-Down
A Virginia Tech tradition, the Little Hokie™ Hand-Me-Down event brings together faculty, staff, and students who either wish to give away or to receive gently used goods for their babies and children.
This year's 8th Annual Little Hokie™ Hand-Me-Down will be in Owens Ballroom located in Owens Hall. The Graduate School, Graduate and Professional Student Senate, and Women’s Center at Virginia Tech sponsor the Hand-Me-Down, and members of the university and Blacksburg communities make the event possible, donating gently used or new items for families.
2021 Collection dates: October 11 through November 8, at the Women's Center at 206 Washington Street, SW, Blacksburg. See list below for the items we are asking for. We ask that any donations be completely boxed or contained in plastic bags.
2021 Distribution dates: Graduate Students only November 9th from 12pm - 5pm. Limited capacity; first come, first in. Graduate Students and Staff November 10th from 10am to 2pm. Limited capacity; first come, first in. Items will be available for selection in the Owens Ballroom in Owens Hall.
This program is designed to benefit Virginia Tech graduate students and families. We will be collecting unused/gently used children's items for parents and children ages 0 to 10.
Each year, we accept:
- Toys (including music and DVDs), books
- Gently used clothing (baby and maternity)
- Unexpired formula
- Medical supplies (breast pumps, lactation devices)
- Strollers, unexpired car seats, school supplies
- Bedding (for cribs and moms)
- Bathing and grooming supplies (bathers, unopened/unused creams, lotions, powders)
- Feeding supplies (bibs, baby bottles, food warmers)
- Baby gear (activity gyms, bassinets, play mats, baby carriers, swings)
- Day one of distribution, from 12pm to 5pm, graduate students are welcome to shop at the Little Hokie™ Hand-Me-Down. Each shopper receives a bag and can fill it with as many items as they need. They also may choose from a selection of the larger items. Everything is free.
Day two of distribution, from 10am until 2pm, we will welcome both graduate students and University staff members to select items. Everything is free.
Any leftover items will be donated to charitable organizations in the area.
Example Volunteer opportunities: accept, examine, and sort incoming donations, organize displays of offerings for customers, welcome and support customers, tear down at the end of the event.
Questions? Please email the Director of Events from your VT email address.
Collection Dates, 2021:
October 11 through November 8
Distribution Dates, 2021:
November 9, 12pm-5pm, Graduate Students Only; limited capacity; first come, first in
November 10, 10am-2pm, Graduate Students and University Staff both welcome; limited capacity; first come, first in
Items will be available for selection in Owens Ballroom