Little Hokie(tm) Hand-me-Down
A Virginia Tech tradition, the Little Hokie™ Hand-Me-Down event brings together faculty, staff, and students who either wish to give away or to receive gently used goods for their babies and children.
This year's 9th Annual Little Hokie™ Hand-Me-Down will be in the Graduate Life Center Multipurpose Room. The Graduate School, Graduate and Professional Student Senate, and Women’s Center at Virginia Tech sponsor the Hand-Me-Down, and members of the university and Blacksburg communities make the event possible, donating gently used or new items for families.
2022 Collection dates: October 17 through November 14, at the Graduate Life Center Front Desk (155 Otey Street, Blacksburg) and the Women's Center (206 Washington Street, SW, Blacksburg). See list below for the items we are asking for. We ask that any donations be completely boxed or contained in plastic bags.
2022 Distribution dates: Graduate Students only November 15th from 12pm - 5pm. Limited capacity; first come, first in. Graduate Students and Staff November 16 from 8am to 12pm. Limited capacity; first come, first in. Items will be available for selection in the Graduate Life Center Multipurpose Room.
This program is designed to benefit Virginia Tech graduate students and families. We will be collecting unused/gently used children's items for parents and children ages 0 to 10.
Each year, we accept:
- Toys (including music and DVDs), books
- Gently used clothing (baby and maternity)
- Unexpired formula
- Medical supplies (breast pumps, lactation devices)
- Strollers, unexpired car seats, school supplies
- Bedding (for cribs and moms)
- Bathing and grooming supplies (bathers, unopened/unused creams, lotions, powders)
- Feeding supplies (bibs, baby bottles, food warmers)
- Baby gear (activity gyms, bassinets, play mats, baby carriers, swings)
- Day one of distribution, from 12pm to 5pm, graduate students are welcome to shop at the Little Hokie™ Hand-Me-Down. Each shopper receives a bag and can fill it with as many items as they need. They also may choose from a selection of the larger items. Everything is free.
Day two of distribution, from 8am until 12pm, we will welcome both graduate students and University staff members to select items. Everything is free.
Any leftover items will be donated to charitable organizations in the area.
Example Volunteer opportunities: accept, examine, and sort incoming donations, organize displays of offerings for customers, welcome and support customers, tear down at the end of the event.
Questions? Please email GPSS from your VT email address.
Collection Dates, 2022:
October 17 through November 14
Distribution Dates, 2022:
November 15, 12pm-5pm, Graduate Students Only; limited capacity; first come, first in
November 16, 8am-12pm, Graduate Students and University Staff both welcome; limited capacity; first come, first in
Items will be available for selection in the GLC Multipuprose Room